College Street Construction Update # 3
Below are some updates regarding the construction projects taking place on or near College Street this summer. If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please reply and indicate your preference in the body of the email.
Streetcar Track Reconstruction and Intersection Improvements at College and Lansdowne Ave
The City of Toronto will replace the streetcar tracks at the intersection of College and Lansdowne. To accommodate this work the intersection will be completely closed from Monday July 25th to Monday August 8th. The intersection will be reduced to one lane from August 8th to September 2nd.
The first few days of full intersection closure are the most disruptive and involve breaking and removing concrete within the streetcar track areas. The breaking will stop at 11:00 p.m.
Efforts have been made to manage traffic in the area for the safety of workers, road users and residents. These efforts include adding Local Access signs and revising traffic signal times.
Road users should expect delays and increased traffic on nearby main and side streets.
· The College Street & Lansdowne Avenue intersection will be closed to traffic Monday July 25, 2016 at 6 a.m. to Monday August 8, 2016 at 6 a.m.
· Pedestrians will have to walk around the work area on sidewalks or walkways provided.
· Cyclists opting to use the sidewalk must dismount and walk the same sections as pedestrians or use alternate routes provided below.
· The intersection will reopen with one lane in all directions on August 8, 2016.
· All lane restrictions at the intersection will be cleared on September 2, 2016.
Alternate Cycle Routes:
Southbound Cyclists: Cyclists travelling south on Lansdowne between Bloor and College Streets and will be diverted west to St. Helen's Avenue via Lumbervale Avenue, then west onto Dundas Street West and south on Sorauren Avenue.
Northbound Cyclists: The northbound bicycle lane on Lansdowne Avenue will be closed between Rideau Avenue and Dundas Street West and cyclists will be required to share a lane with motor vehicle traffic. At Dundas Street, cyclists may travel east to Brock Avenue and then proceed north on Brock Avenue to College or Bloor.
Eastbound Cyclists: Travelling east on Dundas to Brock Street then north on Brock to College Street (note there is a detour off of College Street between Havelock and Shaw Street).
Westbound Cyclists: Will have to turn off College Street at Brock Avenue, south to Dundas Street West and turn right at Dundas Street West.
Cycling Detours Maps at: www.toronto.ca/collegest
The following routes will be diverted
· 506/306 Carlton
· 47 Lansdowne
Visit ttc.ca for further service details.
BIA Streetscape Improvements on College from Shaw St to Havelock St
At this time, the sidewalk on the north side of College St. has not been completely removed. Sidewalk removal is complete from Havelock St. to Roxton Rd. Ramps are in place at businesses and traffic on College Street is limited to one lane in each direction. Work will not progress to the south side of College Street until the work on the north side is completed.
• the contractor has ordered the pavers and the first delivery will take place in early August
• the hard surface (Base concrete) will be completed on the north side by mid-August
• the north sidewalk will be fully completed by the end of August; however, some customised items such as tree guards and tree pit drains may be late and installed upon delivery.
• before the operation shifts to the south side, a notice will be provided, the south side will be completed by mid-October
• the overall contract will be completed in November.
• the contractor will try to expedite the parkette works in order not to delay the overall schedule.
*REMINDER: Cycling detour around this project…
Cycling Detours Maps at: www.toronto.ca/collegest
*REMINDER: Garbage & Recycling Pickup During Construction
As part of the BIA streetscaping on College Street. The City’s contractor is responsible for ensuring garbage, recycling and green bins are picked up according to your regular schedule.
For the duration of construction in front of your property please:
1) Label your bins with the correct address
2) Leave bins for collection on the street by 4:30 p.m. every Thursday afternoon.
The Contractor will move bins to each corner so that waste can be picked up according to schedule. The Contractor will then return bins in front of your address on Friday mornings.
If you missed pick up or leaving your bins out, please contact the inspector on this project, the inspector will then call 311 to arrange for pick up.
Please circulate this notice widely to any interested parties.
For more information about Toronto Construction projects:
Downtown Construction Projects:
TTC Service Diversions information:
Toronto Road Restrictions
To be added to our construction updates email list:
Paul B Martin
Public Consultation Coordinator
Public Consultation Unit
Metro Hall, 19th Floor
55 John Street
Toronto ON M5V 3C6